- I ran my first half marathon in 2012, and went on to run 3 more, as well as 8 other races. My MapMyRun account says I logged 679 miles last year, but there are at least 20 miles that I didn't log on. Running has become a big part of my life this past year, and I am happy with the 700 miles I've run.
- I finished my first semester of grad school! A year ago I was still studying for my GRE and filling out applications, and here I am now, ready to start my winter semester tomorrow morning. It has not been easy, and it has been emotional - I have been through interviews, I ended up not being accepted into the school I wanted, I started this program trying to convince myself that maybe this is what was supposed to happen, and finished the first semester with straight A's and knowing that this was, indeed, meant to be. I couldn't be happier with the program I am in and with my teachers, I absolutely love what I do, and my internship doing school based therapy couldn't be a better fit for me.
- I went on my first cruise! A few years ago I decided I'd try to visit a country a year, and last year it was Mexico and Cayman Islands. Even though we only made a one-day stop in each Cancun and Grand Cayman, I loved being outside of the United States and seeing new places.
I have also visited Key West
Universal Studios (my first time!)
beautiful Charleston, SC
and Bethlehem, PA
- I became a US citizen. My most meaningful Christmas present came a week early, when I took the pledge of allegiance in front of my girls. I had dreamed of this moment for a long time, and it felt so good to walk out of that federal building knowing that I am American citizen!
- I rediscovered my crafty side, thanks to Pinterest. I tried everything from new recipes to my glitter tumbler to my wall art
and this awesome blanket that is still in the making
I ended the year they way I've lived it, almost running late, being reunited with my friends at exactly11:59, just in time to hug, kiss, laugh, share champagne, and take some more pictures!
Thank you, 2013, you've been pretty awesome!
As for 2013, I started it right, sleeping in, enjoying breakfast with friends, and going to the beach, which is something I like to do every January 1st, as a reminder of how lucky I am to live so close to the ocean.
I don't have any resolutions for 2013, I just hope it will be better than 2012, and I hope to accomplish a few things:
- I hope to run 1,000 miles this year. The only race I have planned for this year is the Rock'n'Roll Savannah Half Marathon in November. Unfortunately there are several factors that made me drop out of the WDW marathon this month, but I still want my 2013 marathon. As a matter of fact, my entire running experience has made me realize that half marathons are my favorite distance, so I want to eventually run one in every state. I don't have a certain number of half marathons I want to run each year, but I'll try to find a few new ones to run every few months.
- I hope I keep kicking school's butt and I hope I learn a lot of new things and that I get better at what I do.
- I hope I get to travel at least as much as last year. Since November is a slow month around here, I might try to get the girls to come to Savannah for a girls' getaway. I'm also planning a spring NYC trip, since spring is the only season I haven't seen Nueva York in. There are also a few other ideas, but they're kind of a secret for now.
- Zumba! I've had quite a few people tell me that I would be a great Zumba instructor, so I am trying to get certified this spring. I love dancing, and zumba is one of my favorite classes at the gym, so it would be really cool if I could combine the two and get paid for it!
- Since I mentioned the gym, I want to visit it more often, and give more love to my arms and core.
- Triathlon! This is my TRI year, I just know it! This means a lot of work in the swimming department, but I am so looking forward to it!
- Smile! I hope I continue to smile, be goofy, see the positive in every situation, and be excited about everything that life throws at me!